Accedi per seguire   
Seguaci 0
ZipGenius

#ZipGenius 7 - preview issue #1

1 messaggio in questa discussione

This is the first preview issue for ZipGenius 7. This will not be a regular posting that will inform you about what you will get on March 21st, 2011.

Some people asked why we took so long to build ZipGenius 7. That's a relative easy answer: we started coding from the ground. ZipGenius 7 source code doesn't have a bit descending from ZG 6 codebase. We wanted it to be cleaner, faster, stronger and the only way was to write a whole new codebase, which has also made its appearance (in a partial and modified way) in the latest build of ZipGenius 6.

Beside the fact that ZG7 will offer a truly new user interface (remember: we wanted it to be cleaner than before), the major changes will be hidden to the mass. As an example, you know that Zipgenius 6 is already able to show multiple archives through its tabbed interface; long-time users, however, remember for sure that ZipGenius 6.0 first release didn't have the tabbed interface and it was added along the road. That was a truly brutal addition because the codebase was conceived and designed to be good just for a single task at a time (one ZG windows, one open archive). Due to Mozilla Firefox success, tabbed environments became very popular and many users asked for a tabbed interface in ZipGenius, but we weren't in the process of resetting the codebase in order to implement the new environment. That situation forced us to do a lot of tricks to offer a tabbed environment with a codebase originally born for single-task jobs, so we had to make ZG 6 code a bit "heavier".

What is happening in ZG 6 when you switch from a tab to another?
When you load two archives, ZipGenius writes a list of open archives and shows the file list of the current active tab; when you switch to another tab, the program must store current work conditions, unload the file list from memory, activate the newly requested tab, load the second file list. When you want to go back, then it has to do the reverse action: unload the second file list from memory, activate the newly requested tab, check if archive was open before and, if it was, reload the work conditions that were stored. A real mess!

In ZipGenius 7 things will change. Each tab will have its set of compression engines and a specific frame holding the GUI elements used to show the file list: when you will switch between tabs, nothing will have to be unloaded or reloaded, because each tab will have its own thread and memory allocated. This will make your work smarter and faster because you won't have to wait for a reload each time you switch to a different tab.

Stay tuned for more preview issues on ZipGenius 7!

di
di

zgnews?d=yIl2AUoC8zA zgnews?i=U3YplJ-vWtg:R-u0f-2z0HY:-BTjWOF_DHI zgnews?d=dnMXMwOfBR0 zgnews?i=U3YplJ-vWtg:R-u0f-2z0HY:F7zBnMyn0Lo zgnews?d=7Q72WNTAKBA zgnews?i=U3YplJ-vWtg:R-u0f-2z0HY:V_sGLiPBpWU zgnews?d=qj6IDK7rITs zgnews?d=l6gmwiTKsz0 zgnews?i=U3YplJ-vWtg:R-u0f-2z0HY:gIN9vFwOqvQ
U3YplJ-vWtg

Condividi questo messaggio

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
Accedi per seguire   
Seguaci 0