Accedi per seguire   
Seguaci 0
ZipGenius

#ZipGenius 7 - preview issue n.2

1 messaggio in questa discussione

Goodbye Windows 95/98/ME/NT4. Welcome new OSes!

One of the big changes in ZipGenius 7 will be its compatibility with older versions of Windows. ZipGenius is well known for being available for every version of Windows out there, from Windows 95 up to Windows Server 2008; however, we all known that time flows and technical evolution doesn't take a rest and we saw how ZipGenius had to become Unicode compliant in order to be used on system supporting "non latin" charsets like Japanese, Chinese, Arabic or Cyrillic, forcing users of Windows 95/98/ME to install the Microsoft Layer Support for Unicode, an update pack that makes Unicode compatible all those versions of Windows.

We could have followed the same way while developing ZipGenius 7, but that would have forced us to cut off a lot of innovations from the new major release, just beginning from the user interface: in ZipGenius 7 you will get a lot of User Interface innovations because it is developed in Windows 7 and it will benefit from the advanced features of the new Aero Glass shell of the operating system.

Well, we are going to say goodbye to Windows 95/98/ME, even though we know that still A LOT of people is using those versions for various reasons: lack of confidence against Microsoft, lack of money to upgrade to a new PC (which is required by the later versions of Windows), lack of willingness to upgrade and so on. I respect all those are using those versions, but I have to give them a message: you are using an unsafe operating system. No matter if you use 200 antivirus products altogether and 300 firewalls. The truth is that you are on an unsafe operating system, that has reached the end of its lifecycle and that is not supported or updated anymore by Microsoft, leaving you exposed to any kind of risk. You should upgrade sooner or later, because you can't rely on an unsafe system still in 2011. That's my thought and it's up to you to decide whether to upgrade or not. I'm sorry that ZipGenius 7 won't work on your system and we will continue to offer the latest working build of ZG 6 for those systems, but keep in mind that soon you won't get updates for other software and you will get stuck on old versions of them.

Beside the goodbye to older Windows versions, we will welcome the support to new operating systems. Zipgenius 7 will be 99% usable under Linux through #WINE because of the cleaner code that will no rely much more on strict Windows API. We are performing some test and we are really satisfied with the WINE solution. Anyway, we are looking to code a native Linux version of ZG7. We are just deciding whether to develop it through Lazarus+Free Pascal or going the #MONO way. We are open to any suggestion and we would accept any form of contribution to the Linux development (in form of volunteer developers, designers and so on).

Stay tuned!

di
di

zgnews?d=yIl2AUoC8zA zgnews?i=PnBRxm3psrE:iY93IbbDQew:-BTjWOF_DHI zgnews?d=dnMXMwOfBR0 zgnews?i=PnBRxm3psrE:iY93IbbDQew:F7zBnMyn0Lo zgnews?d=7Q72WNTAKBA zgnews?i=PnBRxm3psrE:iY93IbbDQew:V_sGLiPBpWU zgnews?d=qj6IDK7rITs zgnews?d=l6gmwiTKsz0 zgnews?i=PnBRxm3psrE:iY93IbbDQew:gIN9vFwOqvQ
PnBRxm3psrE

Condividi questo messaggio

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
Accedi per seguire   
Seguaci 0